Friday, July 30, 2010

Self Reflection



I would say that this is my strongest photo because I think that i captured this man in an intimate way.  I am very proud that I even went up to him and his friend to ask to take their portraits:  I was intimidated.  The direct lighting was perfect for portraits, and I wanted to have a shadow to cover his face so that when people see this image they can feel how dramatic it is.

It's amazing how much I've improved as a photographer over these 3 weeks.  I never thought that my work and technique could change so much.  I was really impressed with my 4x5 landscape work because I had doubts that I would be able to use the camera properly.  I challenged myself to create geometric compositions and fill the frame in all corners.  Taking the large format camera to Chicago was probably the biggest risk that I took because there where swarms of people in the streets, but it felt natural even though the camera took up the whole sidewalk.

I could have pushed myself even more in the 3 weeks at MIAD, and I think that held me back a little.    

The sequence assignment will most definitely inspire my new work.  The idea of everyone having their own agenda and having a place to go excites me.  The book that I made is a preliminary piece to a series that could evolve into something more advanced.  I want to meet the people that I will photograph and find out where they are going everyday.  I want to know their story, and also experiment with lighting.  I want to know why people don't have a connection with other people while they are using public transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment